Please visit the Edmonton Public Schools Cogito Alternative Program website at: http://cogito.epsb.ca/ for helpful program information.
Cogito is a knowledge-based program with clearly defined standards of achievement and measurable learning objectives. Cogito is dedicated to helping average students maximize their academic potential. Cogito (k 0 gi t o) is Latin for I reason. The program provides a Classic Liberal Arts Education and is designed for the student who is willing to work to achieve a high level of academic excellence, in a knowledge-based program, and in an atmosphere of structured and sequenced learning. Critical thinking is stressed. Students work in an environment that encourages self discipline.
The unique program characteristics include:
- Enriched curriculum
- Sequenced knowledge content
- Focus on attention and increased concentration
- Early literacy development through explicit phonics
- Strong mental and written math skill development
- Teachers oriented to a classical approach
- Direct whole group instruction
- Strong work ethic expected
- Regular homework required
- Committed parental support